Between Lines Ltd - https://intecture.io
Posted 1 year ago
Between Lines is the company behind Intecture, the server management tool for developers. What makes Intecture great is that it’s just an API library. Intecture doesn’t use DSLs, it doesn’t hide the execution of your code (hello, debugger!), it doesn’t reformat it, prod it, lick it or Rick-roll it, nor are there convoluted workflows or 15 levels of attribute precedence. You write some code using Intecture’s API to do the heavy lifting, then you run it, then you drop the mic.
Intecture is written in Rust and proudly open source. We have an FFI, C headers and a PHP binding, though we’re keen to add support for more languages as we go. To talk to stuff, we use ZeroMQ.
As Intecture’s author and company director (junior vice president), I’m looking for a Rust legend and cofounder to take over technical authority for Intecture while I focus on business development. The company has a seed-round funding deal on the table so you're not working for high-fives and free compliments. We’re offering a competitive salary plus equity share.
What you’ll be doing
Intecture is a functioning tool that you can download and use yourself. In order to make it even easier for people to get onboard, we want to host most of Intecture’s components ourselves, making them multi-tenancy and improving our developers’ experience from zero to managed.
You’ll also be responsible for Intecture’s rebirth as an event-driven tool, focussing on implementing Tokio to handle server events and making them programmable. We’ll need to get down and dirty with a number of OSes and their kernels to suck out the juicy stuff, write algorithms to parse data streams efficiently and develop communication protocols that are reliable and scalable. The challenge, and the fun, is to wrap all of this up in an API that developers want to use. I have some thoughts on all this! :)
- Establish a Rusty dominion that will creak for generations
- Define Intecture’s coding standards and technology stack
- Build an engineering team around you
- Grow and mature Intecture’s open source community
- Tackle highly complex problems with lots of moving parts, and at interweb scale
- Create tools that developers will love!
- (Free to adorn your chair with glitter, paper mâché, stickers etc.)
- You’d describe yourself as a Rust ninja, not a part timer
- You’d describe yourself as >= a C dabbler
- Strong experience in Tokio/futures and event-driven programming
- You are comfortable leading others and taking authority over technical direction
- Ideally (though not necessarily) you’ll have some experience with server management / DevOps - and you don’t like it
- You love Rust and open source
- Liberal high fives and free compliments, over and above your financial incentives (I know, right?!)
- Flexible working hours
- Remote friendly, though honesty caveat - I do love teamwork and the best way to do that is to be together, so I’d be open to a few days from home each week but not a remote worker
- BYO device, or if that’s a drawback, I’ll BYO your device
- As I'm the junior vice president, you’ll probably outrank me
How to apply
Remember to mention that you found the job on RustJobs.